Monday, July 5, 2010

B-Patch Board Meeting Minutes 7/1/10

B-Patch Board Meeting Minutes
July 1, 2010
In Attendance: Wayne, Kevin, Rebecca (and Bill), Rob, Carol

1. Adding new Board Members:
The suggested number of board members from the Parks Dept was 5 people, we are already at 6, so feel like it should not grow any larger as the decision making process may be more difficult.

2. The one year limit to the garden plots:
Many board members and plot holders have already expressed concern with this policy, as the greater investment gardeners have in the garden, the better it will work. The Parks Board approved this policy, but we can lobby to have it changed. The hope is to send someone to the August Parks Board meeting in August to let them know how well the garden is working out. Also send some folks to the September meeting to request a switch to a policy where gardeners keep their plots for a longer term – 3 years? As long as they keep it up?
Follow up: When are the Park Board Meetings? Who can attend August? Who can attend September? Organize our selling points to get the policy changed.

3. Compost Bin Use:
We need to make sure the bin is getting turned and watered regularly to insure it composts. Also having issues with weeds and diseased plants being put in the compost bins.
Follow up: Carol will create a sign-up sheet for the bulletin board for people to write when they turn or water the bins. Kevin will talk to John about making more signs that say “THIS BIN”, “NOT THIS BIN”, “NO DISEASED PLANTS”

4. Outstanding Work Projects:
* Privacy screen for neighbor and plants to climb on it – hops?
* Bench – this is a lower priority item
* Sign with landscaping in NE corner
* Mason bee box installation – Wayne will install under the eaves of the house
* Earth oven? – not sure about placement
Kevin will let people know ahead of time about any upcoming work parties. We can work on some of these projects as we have time.

5. Gardener communication and “email list”:
Several board members didn’t receive “the list” provided by Steve Romer. Wayne will forward it on to other board members. Agreed that we should keep plot holder email to a max of twice a month and use the Bee-Patch Blog to post more frequent info as needed.
Follow up: Should probably establish one person to do the communication to the gardeners, and establish a “list keeper” to manage additions/deletions/duplicates, etc.
Organize a garden party to meet other gardeners in ways other than email.

6. Food Bank and School Plots status and communal maintenance:
Gloria said it is okay for other people to water and weed her two school plots. We will add these tasks to the Volunteer Opportunities list for gardeners. The Food Bank plot still has room to be planted.
Follow up: Need to come up with a way to track pounds of food donated to both food banks. The school plots need to be labeled on the map on the board. Delivery times and locations of both food banks should also be posted. Carol will make a Volunteer Opportunities list and post on board.

7. Other needs from Steve and Parks Dept at this time?
No – we will include him on monthly meeting minutes

8. Sign design
Per our residential permit it will be under 10 sq ft. Kevin will follow up with John and have him come up with his own design that includes “B-Patch” and “Burien Community Garden” as well as some bees/butterflies/carrots/radish/etc. graphics

9. What to do with the extra grant money:
Currently have $902 that needs to be spent by 4/1/11. Some will be spend on the remaining supplies for the privacy screen and sign permit.
Follow up: Buy a wisk broom and dust pan for the kitchen. Still need to decide how to spend the money down the road.

10. Parks Dept “stuff” in the green house:
Everyone is fine with it as long as the kitchen stays available for gardener use and the bathroom has toilet paper.

11. Border along gravel:
Gravel is getting in to some garden plots and the bark and gravel are mixing by the picnic table.
Follow up: Kevin will look at getting a plastic boarder for the bark/gravel mix spot. Perhaps a small pile of free bricks for gardeners along the gravel border side? Craigslist?

12. Bulletin Board:
Space is running out. Let’s move the more permanent items to the inside of the window and leave the bulletin board for rotating items, or items that expire.

13. Planting with neighbors in mind:
Continue to monitor that folks aren’t shading neighbors, letting weeds spread, letting disease spread. Don’t want to create more rules at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment